Saturday, April 4, 2009

Growing Up

It's so fun to me watching how our girls are growing and changing. Lela in particular has all of a sudden blossomed into quite the young lady. This is a term she is not to happy with but nevertheless its a term I love! I first noticed it a few months ago. All of a sudden as if overnight she started reading. Then she was writing the most beautiful letters I had ever seen on paper. And then she was spelling words for me? Wow! Despite the trying times we have with her it is so definitely worth it. She reminds me a lot of myself. Not only is she my carbon copy of how I looked as a child it's her spirit that I'm drawn to. In the past few months I've learned to let go and let her be...well, herself. She loves pink! Everything in her wardrobe she thinks has to be pink. From the top of her head all the way to her feet. When this first started I so tried to fight it, but then one morning I woke up and said "Oh, well it's easier to just let her be." I also realized that this couldn't go on forever (or could it?). In school, I was one of "those" kids who dressed in all black and I've turned out just fine. What's so funny is I really don't even own a lot black in my closet, now. Yesterday she talked me into buying her some pink Converse hightops. Boy, did that bring back memories of me trying to convince my mom that I need black ones. I love this child! She definitely knows what she likes and its hard to change her mind. She is such a sensitive and polite little girl who loves her friends and sister, dearly. She is also turning into quite the artist as well. My favorite thing she has started doing is pausing the TV and then proceeds to draw what she sees on the screen. I have seen her intrepretation of SpongeBob all the way to Mickey Mouse. I love it when she asks me if its OK that she makes somebody's hair purple. I always tell her she is the artist and she can do whatever she likes. I just pray that she will always have the confidence to be who she is...a beautiful and unique child of God!


1 comments:

southernjoy said...

What a great shoe picture. It goes so well with the blog. I also struggle sometimes with letting the boys be themselves.