Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Earth Day


"What do you do to help the environment?"

I saw this question asked yesterday on TV and it made me start thinking, what do we do in our house to help the environment? The first thing that jumped out at me is we recycle. In fact every Monday, when they come to get the recyclables we usually have about three bins worth of stuff. (OK, I know. We either use a lot of junk or we're really good about what goes in the trash can versus the recycle bin.) The girls even get into it by taking the cans, jars, cardboard to the bin for us. We definitely try and make this something that the whole family does. Another thing we try and do and I can honestly say we're not 100% at is using our own bags to get the groceries. I have quite a few "recycled grocery bags" in my car to take with me into the grocery store but 9 times out 10 I forget to get them out. I'm half way through grocery shopping when it dawns on me, "oh yeah, I left my bags in the car." So, then they have to give me the plastic bags and I end up with whole bunch of them which end up in the recycle bin outside. It's a cycle we are trying to break. Another thing that I have become interested in is composting. A number of years ago one of my bosses was talking to me about it and how it worked, etc. I became fascinated with it then but figured it was too much trouble. And then the other day on TV, I saw them talking to someone who did it and his garden and yard looked fantastic! In actuality it's no harder that taking care of a plant. I brought this idea up to Kevin the other day about us trying to start a composting bin. He liked the idea. I just figured it would be another way to help the environment as well as cut down on our garbage a little more. Hopefully after a little more research and thought, we can get this idea up and rolling.

0 comments: