Thursday, November 13, 2008

What Are You Thankful For?

This week at school the big question has been what are you thankful for? I have been quite surprised at Lela's responses. What I think she will say has definitely surprised me. For example, last night at church, they had a huge sign posted in the hall entitled "God, We Are Thankful For..." Everyone in the school had their answer and then their name beside what they were thankful for. Lela's said "Easter." Kevin and I were quite surprised by this. I figured she would say something like "her sister" or "her mom and dad," but she didn't. I have wondered to myself if she realizes what a profound answer that was. Easter - eternal life? I keep thinking maybe what we are teaching her is finally starting to get through. (I sure hope so.) It is so important to us as parents to have our girls brought up in the church and to realize the importance of Christ in their lives. I know speaking from experience that their are times when you have nothing else but God and what a powerful thing that is.

Then today when I walked in to school outside her classroom on the bulletin board they had made a turkey with feathers on it. On the feathers each one had a child's name and what they were thankful for. Some of them said - their dog, their cat, their mom and dad, their sister, etc. Lela's said God and Love. Wow! I have to smile to myself because I think how did you get so smart?

0 comments: