is today, the beginning of Lent. I know a lot of people who give up various things during this time of year. Well, I have decided this year not to give anything up. Last year I tried giving up sweets for the 40 days but ended up with the flu and that was really the only thing that tasted good to me. So, instead of setting myself up for failure I'm taking a different route. I'm trying new things out...living a little so to speak, stepping outside my box.
In fact today, I did something I have never done before in my entire life I went to our church's Community Lenten Service with my friend Wendy. It was a really neat service which ended with the Imposition Of Ashes. I have never participate in this but "Wow!" what a wakeup call. You truly realize how mortal you are when a minister smears the sign of the cross with ashes on your forehead and says to you "Dust your are and to dust you shall return." Talk about a reality check. Makes you think, don't it?
I'm not really sure if your suppose to walk around all day with the cross on your forehead or not, but when the service was over and I was in my car I wiped it off because I had a couple of errands to do before I picked up the girls and I wasn't sure what the reaction would be? But the way the service worked was different spiritual leaders from the community participated - the Catholics priests, Baptist and Presbyterian ministers, etc. It was a very moving experience for me. I sat there and realized that no matter how different each of us are, we are all on a pilgrimage. We are one and the same and everyone of us are at different places in our own spiritual journeys. It so exciting to me to see where my own personal journey is going and the things that I am learning on the way.
In fact today, I did something I have never done before in my entire life I went to our church's Community Lenten Service with my friend Wendy. It was a really neat service which ended with the Imposition Of Ashes. I have never participate in this but "Wow!" what a wakeup call. You truly realize how mortal you are when a minister smears the sign of the cross with ashes on your forehead and says to you "Dust your are and to dust you shall return." Talk about a reality check. Makes you think, don't it?
I'm not really sure if your suppose to walk around all day with the cross on your forehead or not, but when the service was over and I was in my car I wiped it off because I had a couple of errands to do before I picked up the girls and I wasn't sure what the reaction would be? But the way the service worked was different spiritual leaders from the community participated - the Catholics priests, Baptist and Presbyterian ministers, etc. It was a very moving experience for me. I sat there and realized that no matter how different each of us are, we are all on a pilgrimage. We are one and the same and everyone of us are at different places in our own spiritual journeys. It so exciting to me to see where my own personal journey is going and the things that I am learning on the way.


0 comments:
Post a Comment